Friday, April 18, 2008

Feijoas



Ben's colleague gave us a bag full of feijoas, which are of South American origin, but can be found all over New Zealand. These lime-colored gems are about the size of an egg, and we cut them in half and scoop out the flesh like a soft-boiled egg. They taste something like cucumber+pear+lime. Their season is very short, and in the shops they are quite expensive, but many people have trees in their yards and sometimes we get super lucky. They also make good chutneys, but at our place, I make sure none goes to waste.

Fact is, we had four magnificent feijoa trees which produced more fruits than we and the neighbors could eat. But the trees were getting too tall and Ben wanted a rose garden around there, and the guy who used to help us with the big jobs in our garden said we could cut them back really hard and they would come back and fruit again. So we did. In 2000. And we've had three fruits since.

Anyway, I'm happy for the next few days. I need to ration so I don't eat them all at once, but they smell so pungent, and just photographing these made my mouth water. Joy!!!

8 comments:

  1. The green is a luscious hue, and the fruit looks very inviting!

    Blogger is being temperamental and is giving me a hard time uploading my images, and just when I'm approaching my 500th post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm. I've never heard of this fruit but they sound pretty yummy actually :)

    I wonder if the tree would survive Jamaica's climate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Kate, they've been inviting me all day.

    Ann, they do very well in Auckland, and I think Brazil is their real home. I'm not sure how much coolness they need, and I don't know how cool it gets at night/in winter in Jamaica, but it could be worth a try?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something new to me. Never heard of them and can't imagine a taste of cucumber-pear and lime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the perfume.... I wish we had scratch-and-sniff monitors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of these but they sound so refreshing, and photograph well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya, they are refreshing. Just lovely. thanks for visiting NDP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. learnt about a new fruit .... will try and see if we can get this in India ....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.