Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ben and I are Separating...


Just for the next 10 days. I'm going up to the northern end of the country today to help a weaver move her looms out of her living room and into her new weaving "shed". And she has gazillion looms! We'll be painting the walls, dismantling and rebuilding looms, and meanwhile I'm stealing any good ideas or color schemes I can find.

Anyhoo, Ben will be holding down the fort all on his lonesome, so please come and visit and drop a friendly "Howdy" to keep him company.

This wonderful ensemble is made with the old carpet from Nelson Airport's terminal building. The story goes that the terminal building was first built, carpet of this design was installed; years (decades?) later, when they refurbished the terminal building, they custom-ordered carpet of the exact same design!! Thankfully, after the recent refurbishments this century, we have more muted colors and a less, shall we say, noticeable design.

6 comments:

  1. Love those colours!

    With that kind of attention-grabbing headline you could challenge any evening news paper! Take care, both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, the 70s! I won't say that this is typical of my wardrobe at the time, but "lurid" cropped up frequently as a descriptive term

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Meg, you certainly made me gulp and hurry to read on. That's not fair, I was barely finished with my morning coffee. I don't need the added jump-start, thank you. LOL.
    Fascinating and so totally 70's. Did you make this? Its an interesting story of its history.
    Of course I'll drop by and cheer lonely Ben up . Don't worry and have a great time.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, everybody, from Far North of New Zealand. This is the area that was badly flooded on July 4 this year - the neiboughring town of Kaio (I think that's how it's spelled) was hit three times since the start of this year, and they had a town meeting today to see if they'll just close the town and move elsewhere. We're safe, though, and we had even a sunny spell, in spite of the forecast. We painted the outside of Agnes's new weaving "shed", which is really like a self-contained granny flat unit.

    Oh, and I'm remembering what it's like to have dial-up. Ugggg.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sue, I didn't make this. I think someone did when the carpet was finally taken out, but that wasn't too long ago. Mesmorising, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that carpet well from growing up in Nelson. I heard they cut it up into pieces and sold it off....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.