Thursday, May 31, 2007

Julie and Artisan Breads

This is Julie Cahusac de Caux, owner, manager, baker at the Artisan Breads at Founders Park.

Founders is a park where historic buildings are brought and refurbished to show how people used to live around Nelson. I read something about Julie three or so years ago, and from memory, she's Canadian who learned baking while living in Europe. (I must go fact-checking because I could be completely wrong!) Anyway, she opens shop for four hours on Tuesdays and six on Fridays, when she sells bread and pastries, many of which I can't remember the names of because I had never heard of them.

I go see her every once in a while to get her delectable ciabatta, as one of my hobbies is to bake ciabatta and I need periodic reminder how these are supposed to look. She also makes mean canele. And because I never carry cash, she lets me buy on credit.

She's looking for a part-time baker. Anyone interested? I'll put in a good word for you.

10 comments:

  1. Glad I came. A nice photograph and a pleasant read. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about yourself? I can put in a good word on your behalf ;-)
    Of course, I will need to taste one of your ciabattas to keep it honest...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, folks.

    Isabella, my ciabatta tastes spectacular, if I may say so, humbly, myself; they just look so.... flat and the shapes are more or less accidental, so sometimes they are like big, flat, boomerang. I've got a photo here. The cut piece is one of Julie's. She asked me if I wanted to come in for a few hours, and I just instinctively had this image of my sorry-looking ciabattas and shouted out, "No!" before I knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm...fresh baked bread and pasteries. There is nothing better. I've never tried making Ciabatta bread. Maybe sometime I will get brave enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie's shop looks very homey and inviting. I can just imagine what it smells like.

    If not for the commute I might be tempted to apply :) Not that I can make Ciabatta bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, I think Julie uses a bit of magic, too. I even like the smell of dough rising at her place.

    Faye, it's only a few days a week, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg,

    I love ciabatta. I always ask for ciabatta when I am at a sandwich place.

    Is your recipe published somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful portrait!
    With a name like that, surely she's French originally!
    I'm not a baker so I can't help, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i assume you're back on solids now meg?
    ;0p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your visits, everybody. Lately Julie has been into baking this pie-(??)-like pastry with cream cheese in the dough and crushed nuts on top, and I can't remember the name of it, but it's very rich and nice. It's wedge-shaped and, well, labour-intensive.

    K-man, I shall post my ciabatta recipe and let you know in the near future. Julie and I think there's nothing wrong with the recipe, but the time I let it rise, and the amount I punch it at the end might not be enough.... I have to get back into my wet dough action.

    Pod, yes, and I'm brushing my teeth so throughly lately that our hot water tank is often empty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.