Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rural Post

In New Zealand, many of the central city Posties are on foot, pushing strange-looking Postie carts. In the suburbs, at least still around here, most are women on bicycles. (I've been trying to capture ours ever since that "Working Men" theme day of yore, but she never appears at a moment convenient for me.) In the rural community, there are station wagons and vans, and in places easier to access by water, mail and even grocery are delivered by boats. In many places, you can go on a one day boat trip on rural mail boats and observe social happenings. I can't remember the details now, but once I believe I was on a boat either delivering a hen, or picking up a dead one.

Good weekend, everybody.

4 comments:

  1. I do visit and I do comment and I was here. I did look at your picture(s) and I did read what you wrote about them. I could say how great you are and how beautiful your work is but alas I would soon run out of things to say on the next blog I visited, so I just left this to prove I stopped and said a few words on Sunday.

    My Rheumatoid Arthritis hurts so I am using the same message for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences, Mr Prez. I've been on glucosamine due to osteo-arthritis, and it's not been fun, but at this point, treatable. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very interesting how different cultures do the same thing. I love this shot and the turn-signal information.
    Our personal mail is all delivered to our little box thats part of a large box for 8 families. Its at the end of our street. A postman in a truck delivers the mail to each box. At our previous home the mail was brought directly to our house. We got spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had a PO Box for the last several years because too much got stolen or damaged in our mail box (called post box here) by kids. Our mail box is up the drive way and it's not exactly right in front of anyone's door or window, so easy target.

    About ten years ago, though, ours and some other mail boxes were vandalized - ours was old and was split in half!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.