Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Connie Rose, Textile Artist


Nelson has three sister cities, Miyazu, Japan, since 1976; Huangshi City, Hubei, People's Republic of China, since 1995; and Eureka, California, USA, since 2004. I finally "met" someone from one of these cities recently, when textile artist Connie Rose found my weaving blog. These are some of her work.

Connie lives in Eureka, California, and here's an excerpt from her Artist's Statement:

My work is about TEXTURE, the tactility of cloth and fiber surfaces, what textiles feel like in your hands...and visual texture, the orchestration of patterns and colors that your eyes see. My work is about PATTERN -- line, shape, form, directionality -- inherent in the foundation cloth or imprinted or dyed onto the fabric, suggestive of the mental textural compositions that I create as a medium to organize the world, perceptually and visually. My textiles explore the fusion of these components on handwoven fiber structures.


More of Connie's work can be found on her website, her blog, and her Etsy. I've a few more pics on my nattering, blathering, ranting blog here.

Needless to say, when Connie first contacted me a few months ago, it was a true "Eureka!" moment for me. Maybe one day we can meet in some kind of a art exchange event between the two cities.

By the way, when you're in Eureka, be sure to go see Tim Wraight's "Native Woods of New Zealand" at the Morris Graves Museum of Art. And please please please someone send a few photos my way? Thanks in advance.

Post Script: Connie just informed me that Tim's piece is currently in storage awaiting to be installed at the City Hall. Thank you, Connie, anyway.

8 comments:

  1. I love these colors! Connie and Meg, you are artists! I'm just able to knit, I'm so jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful colors, it can feel textures :)
    it isn't a easy job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very beautiful textures and colors too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't her work just exquisite? I can't stop sighing, and made the top photo my wallpaper this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture makes me want to reach ot and just feel everything. Both of you do such beautiful work. The color in these is exquisite.
    Eureka is about 400-500 miles from my home but i would love to see this work in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that far? California is long and skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg
    I came across some of your weaving in Red today - magnificent work. The cashmere is so fine and soft ...
    dws~11

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, blush... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.