Thursday, October 18, 2007

Manifest Sculpture Exhibition / Tagged

We had so much fun last year photographing sculptures, we're back again. We even went to Tim Wraight's floor (ground!) talk so we can get better-educated about the pieces we introduce here, AND they produced a fantastic flier with good info, which helps us in-one-ear-out-the-other types.

So, the flier says: "Nelson artist Graham Snowden, (sic) presents 'Red Square', a freestanding three-dimensional relief work in bright red aluminium. Graham has recently returned to NZ after living in Korea, and is well known for his large scale abstract and geometric works in painted steel. His work is in major collections and corporate spaces. Graham's work from last year's Arts Festival sculpture symposium was recently a finalist in the 2007 Wallace Arts Trust Awards."

For over a decade, the then-local brewery Macs sponsored a sculpture symposium, where artists sculpted in public for the two weeks the Nelson Arts Festival was on; at the end the pieces were auctioned off. Macs, however, moved out of Nelson a couple of years ago, and no longer feels allegiance to Nelson, so they quit the sponsorship. I'm not sure where "Manifest" comes from, but Tim's trying to make this more of an exhibition rather than a symposium now, although Derek Ball is making something during the Festival to be shown towards the end.

Funny how hearing a little about the artist changes my perception of artworks. Before I heard Tim, I thought, "oh, a red slab", but after Tim's talk, I couldn't get enough of this. Does your perception change after you get more info?
* * * * *

Brace yourselves; we're not done yet. We thought we were keeping a low profile, kind of a semi-retirement, until suddenly we got tagged by Slinger of Twin Cities Daily Photo, Stefan Jansson of Photos from Haninge, and JB of Mainz Daily Photo within a couple of days. Y'all must be running out of folks to tag!!! Anyway, we're supposed to tell you eight things about ourselves that you may not know, so here goes:
  1. Ben has never been to Minnesota! In fact, he's only ever been to Hawaii, and two hours in the transit room at the Anchorage, Alaska, airport.
  2. Nether of us remember the circumstances under which we decided to get married. Ben did not get down on one knee, but other than that, only after a year of being married, we couldn't remember how it happened.
  3. Our birthdays and wedding anniversaries (the day we went to register at the ward office, and the day we had our wedding) are all in April.
  4. We are both the eldest of three; we both have one younger brother, and one younger sister.
  5. On our first real date, we went to a Smokey Robinson concert in Tokyo.
  6. Ben was born in the year of the rabbit; I'm a dog.
  7. Ben's the better, and more frequent, cook; I bakes goodies that are bad for you.
  8. Sometimes when religious folks come to the door, I pretend I don't speak English.
Now, the rules dictate that we appoint, urr, tag eight more of you. Ben the resident IT guy says that's the same as spamming, and refuses to do so. ;-) If you have not been tagged, but would like to list eight things about you, consider yourself tagged, by us.

14 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic photograph. No editing to archive this is another great thing! I with I took this angle. This reflection of cloud at centre is a perfect framing.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extraordinay photo. The red in the blue sky. Fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I was going to tag you, but they beat me to it! Meanwhile, great photos lately - sorry I haven't been coming around and commenting (bad me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my perception changes after getting more info. I find number 8 funny. Can you do it with a straight face? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No speak English! That's good, that's good.

    Ben's a smart guy, being in the computer business myself, the spamming thought crossed my mind too. But extra web site traffic won the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your visits, people.

    Hyderabad, I couldn't until just recently. In NZ, it's easy - people assume Asians don't speak English most times, so I just smile and look troubled.

    Slinger, good, isn't it? It did take discipline and practice, though. And yours is a nice way to say... "Party Pooper!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's splitting hairs a bit, Ben.
    Spamming is random targeting of unrelated addressees.
    DP is a community - we're all in this for various reasons, but getting and writing comments is definitely part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m not saying the people tagging in this community is spamming, JB. It’s fun for tagging so go for it. I just don't see the point of tagging 8 blogs in CDBP which soon run out the member. Maybe it is good if just tag next one or two or do this in them day. (One becomes 8, 64, 512, 4096.... )

    I’m not going to argue what is spam or what is virus and the difference of tagging and leaving comment in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Down, boys, down. Discussion on whether DP tagging is spam or not is now closed. JB, I take your point about a "closed" community and unsolicited-ness; Ben I take your point about the math, and the fact that you combat stuff like this in your day job, so you're rightly concerned.

    But you're both splitting hairs. Be honest like Slinger and have fun - it's nice to increase hits and comments.

    Me, personally, I love being tagged, just in case you're wondering, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe that the art piece speaks for itself, BUT I hastily add that information about the artist and the art itself heightens one's enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, I used to think artists spoke too much about the process and discounted the viewer's judgment of the end product. Now I'm not sure if the process counts as part of the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I do look at art differently, "enlightened" with information about the artist and his thoughts about the how and why. In this case, knowing that the artist has lived in Korea makes me consider different aspects than without that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the record (and certainly not to pick a quarrel with anyone) I think Ben is absolute right and - yes - that might have something to do with the fact that we're apparently working in the same "business".

    Privately and professionally I receive quite a lot of these please-pass-on-to-your-friends-and-we'll-all-be-happy chain letters and they all end up in the same bin.

    Having said that, I fully understand that people do this in good faith and with the best of intentions. Intentions, however, are sometimes not enough and the community would be well advised to get itself a policy because this will happen again and again.

    Your response, to answer politely but not pass on the torch, was perfectly balanced.

    Cheers from the railroad, I'm blogging from a high-speed train today. For a nerd like me that's as much "living on the edge" as it'll ever get... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Merisi, I've been thinking about your bakeries; there's a new, tiny "European" style bakery in town that decorates the windows with beautiful, elegant cakes. Just a tiny shop with a tiny window, but so far I've had the sun in the wrong direction for nice pics!!!

    Tim is there every day at the sculptures, and I got to talk to him again. Very interesting stuff, but I think some pieces, I just won't pretend to like. I prefer pretty things, and well-executed things, and I do avoid problematic or socially conscious pieces.

    Per, from the train? Gee, I'm impressed. Better you work on the laptop than talk on the phone, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.