Monday, August 06, 2007

Construction Boom in Nelson?

I was away only 10 days, but I admit, I hadn't been to either of the Zest Cafes much since the Red Gallery Morning Room opened. So imagine my surprise last week when I ran into Zest on Church Street for a quick coffee, glanced up, and discovered that quirky Fantasmaloria shop was gone! I knew the yarn and costume shops had moved out of the premise, but I didn't expect this.

With the population increase and parking problems, some architects are advocating for 4- and 5-story buildings in the central business district of Nelson, instead of the current-norm of 2-story ones. Elsewhere, you wouldn't be surprised to see a "pencil" building go up in a space like this, but I hope not in Nelson.

The red building to the left is Stingray.

7 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. First times are lousy and we’re unhappy about that. Next thing you know the economy is booming and we’re unhappy about what people are constructing. I suppose the latter is preferable anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess its called "progress" Meg. I love the small town feel where we have moved to and don't miss the highrises of San Francisco too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best for a town to decide early on what it wants to be and how it wants to protect that "image."

    --steve buser
    New Orleans Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sort of difficult to control, I think. There are many cities older than Stockholm but still this town is about 800 years. Hard to imagine anyone proclaiming a desirable image way back then and miraculously preserving that through the centuries...

    Still, you’re right of course that a town needs cultural authorities with a bit of clout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting, everybody. Funny, isn't it. We come from a huge place looking for quaintness, and everywhere we go expansion and development follow us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and when you find a moment of peace, someone on the other side of the planet ruins it by posting subway noise for you? There’s no escape, Meg! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha... no, you never ruin my day, Per. Never.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.