Friday, September 12, 2008

Not One of Our Architectural Wonders

No offense to this establishment; I've never seen the inside of the motel. Mid-City Motor Lodge is so centrally located, on Trafalgar Street. The famous Nelson Saturday Market takes place just behind it, in the foreground of this pic. But it's not one of the most attractive architectural examples of Nelson.

So why am I posting this? I recently started collecting shots of buildings of Nelson CBD, because there have been few old ones being torn down over the years and I can't remember what used to be in the flattened lots, let alone after something new springs up. And I often miss what used to be, sometimes without knowing what I'm missing. It takes my breath away looking at photos of Nelson from the 1960's and 70's, and sometimes from the 90's, at the Museum and see the changes. In my old-er age, I'm going to look back at some of these and reminisce, you see.

PS There are no plans/rumors that this one is coming down. Just so you don't get the wrong idea.

4 comments:

  1. If the sign weren't there I'd have guessed it was a factory.

    You're right about the buildings once they're gone. Six weeks later I usually can't remember what was there.

    Without the diligence of early photographers we'd have no clue of much of our recent history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXACTLY! And factory? Yes, it does look like that... Strange looking thing, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the prettiest of hotels but I guess if you need a place to sleep it would work.
    Great idea to chronical the buildings. How fast we (I) forget what used to be. Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Previously, for DP, I always looked for the pretty ones or interesting ones, but now that I'm just keeping a record, Sue, anything is allowed, and I'm act8ally having a bit of fun looking at ones I don't like, or are rather... undistinguished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.