Monday, January 22, 2007

AO TEA ROA

This is probably the most famous mural in Nelson, at Wakefield Quay. Aotearoa is the indigenous Maori name for New Zealand, meaning, "Land of Long White Cloud".

Meg's Map says: "Aotearoa" was painted by mural artist Chris Finlayson in 1984. Scenery, window structure and clouds are set into a carved timber panel. The pattern at the top reflects a tuku tuku design found in marae meeting houses and found in Celtic, African and Middle Eastern art forms. The building used to be the city electricity facility and is still commonly known as the 'Powerhouse".

You may have noticed the angle is almost identical any time this mural is shot. That's because this is at the side of one of Nelson's busiest stretch of road, and there isn't much room to play with, unless you have an exceptional insurance policy.

Coming out of Nelson, this mural is just before The Boat Shed (right about the letter "l" of (Wakefield Quay" io the map); opposite of The Cut, before Tahunanui Beach. It's almost worth hiring/renting a convertible two-seater just to drive top down this stretch, according to my brother.

17 comments:

  1. I love the effect of this mural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. I'm growing to enjoy murals more and more too. "Land of Long White Cloud" sure sounds like a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating...beautiful mural too...and even MORE beautiful "shed" shot! GREAT WORK BEN! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how we put our selves in danger just to get a photograph. good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool! I like very much this first cloud "inside" the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice! This painting makes me think to Magritte...

    ReplyDelete
  7. for a minute I thought it was a real window.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took photos of this mural for so many times. But somehow, I couldn't get any results to my satisfaction. I took many in the afternoon or evening lights. This one was taken in the morning and finally I got something I can show you. I'm glad you like this image.
    Cheers everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As alice, i see a bit of Magritte in this artwork.Really beautiful inside-outside!...with a cloud running away...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by Teo Mocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That mural is incredible. I draws you in. I love the 3-D effect and the history shown (understood per your commentary).
    I hope you don't mind me sharing -- it reminds me of this mural. The 3-D effect, I guess it is. :) http://www.blueskyart.com/articles-id-4100.htm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lessie,
    The mural you mentioned here is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have loved and admired this mural ever since it was painted...and even while it was bieng painted!

    The 3D thing gets me every time I drive passed!

    I went and had a look at the "blueskyart" mural - all I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. KB, This one is definitely my favourite in Nelson.
    That's why I didn't post this sooner when we started the blog last year. I did come back several times until I get one that I can satisfy. It's a great mural.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.