Friday, January 05, 2007

New Zealand Ice Cream Containers

Knowing the fresh stuff were only 15 minutes away, I couldn't stand eating frozen, so we went again last Saturday.

I also wanted to show you the New Zealand ice cream container. Of course various manufacturer has different sizes and shapes of container, but when someone refers to an ice cream container in this country, s/he means the square, plastic 2 litter containers. They come in white, black, blue or sometimes purple, and we use and reuse these in the kitchen, the workshop, in arts and crafts, schools, and on picnics. They are square, stackable, and just so darned handy, and if you break or loose a few or need to give them away, no worries, all you need is to get some more ice cream.

For such a convenient and loved vessel, I'm sorry it hasn't got a spiffier name than the "ice cream container".

13 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! Lucky you! And what great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The containers are wonderful but what is in yours is even better. the berries make my mouth water. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - those berries look delectable! Oh, and what's in a name? I think "ice cream container" is perfectly charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some jam with the frozen berries and cloves and a bit of powdered sugar. I forgot to take out the cloves, but they are so soft and chewy I hardly notice it. The liquid is mildly punchy and beautiful as well. (I wonder if I can dye with it?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look really fresh and yummy! geez, i don't think I have seen this kind of berry fresh in market here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boysenberries, Lisi. Big and sour and very masculine tasting.

    Cristina, I made jam, too, and it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this photo....it makes me particularly hungry though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. tubs is what we call old ice-cream containers and they are reusable although our seem to crack up in the freezer so usually get chucked when empty -- but you make me remember that we enjoyed some quite sumptuous ice-cream at several places in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. so its sour? that gives me a shiver down my spine. haha..

    yeah, i have a collection of NZ ice cream containers too! but they did not come from NZ ice cream brands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, folks.

    Keropok man, some are spine-tinglingly sour, yip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lavender Lady, we used to have a blackberry vine in our place - I think I pulled it out because it was so wild and fast-growing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Meg, I hadn't realised that ice cream containers were not an international thing. You are right about the name though- maybe we could make up a spiffier name?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.