Sunday, January 07, 2007

End of the Holiday

Last night, some of these folks were tidying up their belongings, getting ready to go home, while others were sharing a beer with their neighbors, standing by the fence and looking at the beach across the road. A typical Kiwi summer holiday. The man in the green tent relaxed in either a hammock or a Lazy-Boy-type foldable chair, while the Mrs fussed about.

It's not a great shot, but I really wanted to capture the bittersweet mood of the motor camp without getting right into the faces of the holiday-makers on their last night. Teenagers were talking especially loudly with animated gestures with their new friends; kids were insisting on one last run down the slide while parents stood around waiting. I was feeling nostalgic about thier summer memories already.

Amazing how many had a satellite dish, too. (And it'll be a while before I post a photo with the rubbish bin right in the middle in focus!) At Kaiteriteri Beach, north of Motueka.

6 comments:

  1. I myself don't like the end of the holiday. I will always miss my last day in Bali last year. I don't know what really made us like that. Is it about a freedom of this life. FYI, it is the end of my holiday. I am too afraid to begin my lecture tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    My name is Lane, and my partner Jason and I just moved to New Zealand. We arrived in Wellington from San Francisco a few months ago, and we just bought a house here in Nelson and moved in two weeks ago.

    We don't know anyone here yet, so I was seeing who I could find in blogland. :) I'm a photographer, so naturally a daily photo blog piqued my interest! You're welcome to check out my blog as well:

    http://www.pinkelephants.org

    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, the last days of vacation are always bittersweet. i wish they could last longer. Its like semi-retirement for us with a little more freedom. I like this shot and especially highlighting the rubbish can. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo Meg. I am always amazed at the gear that some people have for their camping holidays.
    These camping sites are becoming rarer as the price of coastal land has increased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice capture....summer hols seem sooooo long when you're a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting, folks. Ben goes back to work tomorrow, and the kid in me already misses him and the fun we could be having, but the housewife/worker in me is relieved because I can reclaim the house and my day-time freedom (NOT that Ben's heavy maintenance even if he was home. Well, he cooked most meals the last 2 weeks so I'm not complaining at all!) But I've got to work hard the next 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.