Saturday, February 19, 2011

Our Favorite local bookshop Page and Blackmore asked fans on Facebook what our Top Ten books are; the exact question included the phrase "a desert island".  I jot down mine and submitted it.  To me it was a no brainer, because some of these are books I've been lugging around every time I moved since the 70's, and some I've recommended to so many friends.

1. Snobbery
2. Walden and Other Writings
3. The Best of Saki
4. The Life and Death of St Kilda
5. The Triumph of the Airheads and the Retreat from Commonsense
6. The Artist’s Way
7. Native Wit
8. Is Sex Necessary? Or Why You Feel The Way You Do
9. Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up
10. Little Women

"Snobbery", I must admit, is a guilty pleasure and what a gem it is. "Native Wit" is the best New Zealand non-fiction I've red to date. The only omission from Top Ten was Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style" (Second Edition, the blue one); I thought if I were alone in a desert island, it wouldn't matter if I shouted out my observations/opinions unstylishly, yes?

Sure I have a few more I could have included, but for that day at that time, these were the top books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.