Friday, November 09, 2007

Weaver's Gallery

Sue Bateup is that rare thing, a weaver who makes a living from the craft. Sue's also been studying, so her gallery has been often closed. I have been envious of the luxury of a financially viable weaving, though I still don't really comprehend how hard she's worked to build it up over the years.

A couple of months ago, I learned she's been sick and that's why the gallery hours have been cut. So, over the summer, I'm "manning" the gallery on Wednesdays, from late morning or early afternoon until dinner time. For all she's done to promote handweaving in Nelson and beyond, she deserves a break.

I'm supposed to be studying her colors and browsing through her many books, but the two Wednesdays I've been there, I pranced around the shop trying out her jackets and vests, (I'm studying the products, you see,) or else fringed furiously my own stuff at the back of the back room.

It's going to be a great summer because of this opportunity.

The gallery is a wee white house at 15B Ajax Ave, 10 giant steps away from the Visitor Information Centre along the river.

3 comments:

  1. What absolutely beautiful work is shown in that store. I don't blame you for wanting to try on everything there. A great chance to further your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visits. It's a golden opportunity for my learning, especially colors, which hasn't been a confident area since I did a course on colors in 2002.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking your time to comment! If you have trouble seeing word verification, you can get another one by clicking little circle. Make sure you separate two words with space. We also welcome for any comment on our facebook page.
We have reserve a rights to remove comments include link to ads and spam without any notice.